Swain's General Store
Cliff Swain opened his Port Angeles store in 1957 featuring war surplus merchandise. He had joined the fledgling buying cooperative of Worldwide Distributors, whose other member stores would grow to be Northwest institutions, like GI Joes, Yardbirds, Yeagers, and Chubby and Tubby. Jack Little, with a clothing background, joined the organization in 1960, and Swain's then added Men's and Women's Clothing, Shoes, Sporting Goods, Hardware, and Sundries departments. In the 1960s, the Port Angeles store was expanded with a fifty foot addition and later a 12,500 sq ft warehouse was built with more parking.
Cliff's love of boating found an outlet in a new marine department featuring Evinrude outboard motors, Bayliner boats, and boat trailers. Cliff surrounded himself with a knowledgeable buying staff and in the 1970s, the store grew to be a major retailer on the Olympic Peninsula of nationally known brands, and kept a competitive edge, even with chain stores moving into the vicinity. He was active in both Worldwide and the Port Angeles store up to the time of his passing. As president of the board of Worldwide, Swain received an award for being the Board President of a 100 store buying cooperative from the flying bridge of his 50 foot Tolleycraft boat.
602 E. First St Port Angeles, WA 98362