Radio Pacific, Inc. (KONP/KSTI/KZQM)
KONP radio began regular broadcasting at 6:30 a.m. on February 3, 1945. It was in 1937 that the Evening Press Inc., a subsidiary of the Port Angeles Evening News Inc., first sought an AM radio license for the city of Port Angeles. Final FCC approval was delayed nearly 8 years due to international reallocation of frequencies, then suspension of all newspaper applications, and finally wartime suspension of all new construction.
The construction of KONP was followed quite closely by the Port Angeles Evening News and the Olympic Tribune. From the delivery of the 180 - foot Douglas fir cut in Indian Valley to be used as KONP's first radio tower, to the lighting of the tower's red beacon that was visible for many miles. Port Angeles finally had its own radio station! News was provided by United Press News of the World.
The first broadcast featured a piano and chatter program with Al Smith of CJVI in Victoria and music provided by the Port Angeles Concert Orchestra. Salutes from other northwest radio stations and local church services made up the second day of programming.
For many years, KONP provided Top 40 music. This music programming, which started with the sounds of the 'Big Band era' and popular artists of the time, progressed well into the 90's. In the mid 90's, KONP changed it's on-air moniker to ''Newsradio 1450 KONP'' and switched to all news and talk format
KONP has had several changes in ownership over the years, but continues to provide Port Angeles and surrounding areas with dedication and pride. Offering the most comprehensive local programming on the Peninsula